One of our international students shares their experience of studying at Birmingham

My name is Jean Damascene Nirere, I am a third-year student at the University of Birmingham, in the School of Metallurgy and Materials. I am pursuing BEng in Metallurgy, for which I won a scholarship from my home country. My time at the university has been great in terms of both academic and social life. The academic life at the university of Birmingham is really stimulating. We have quite small classes where you can talk to lecturers at any time. The staff are understanding about any student issues and provide the best help they can. Birmingham is among the top Universities providing engineering courses in the country, and this has given me confidence through understanding that the knowledge I gain can widen my career prospects in either academia or industry. At the beginning, I was not aware of all the different things that a materials scientist can do, but through events such as careers networking and talking to experts in my field, I have been able to decide what I want to do in my future career. I would recommend studying at the University of Birmingham to anyone, especially international students, and my advice is try to be open and engage with staff and other students, and utilise the many resources available , as you can really benefit from that.