Why I went to an Offer-holder Visit Day and Why You Should Too

Offer-holder Visit Days at the University of Birmingham are held weekly from November through to March every year. It is an important opportunity for offer-holders to visit the campus in person, where facilities and learning buildings are introduced. Current students present detailed information about the course that they study, that you have applied to, and give a tour around the main parts of the campus and accommodation. Questions are encouraged and will be answered by academics or undergraduates.

Before studying at Birmingham, I was invited to an Offer-holder Visit Day by the University and attended it as it was chosen as my first choice. With it being my first time in this city, I learned about the environment and its culture, so I would know what to expect in the future for when I started my first year of university. The students were friendly and helpful on the day, assisting offer-holders around the facilities and providing a detailed perception into academic and student experiences. They shared their various experiences and information such as: difficulties within modules, the reality of the gap between A-Levels and a degree, joining societies, and meeting course mates with different cultural backgrounds. I found it extremely useful as I learnt so much about university student lives and most importantly about the course. As a result, I became more enthusiastic about joining the University of Birmingham.

As a second-year student, I have decided to be a student ambassador this year to help out with Open Days and Offer-holder days. Speaking from my experience, attending the day affected my decision greatly and helped me confidently pick the University as my firm choice. I think it is the best opportunity for decisions to be made if you are unsure about your course preferences or university choice – as you can ask anything you want and get all the answers immediately to your satisfaction from the people who know best! If you were like me and lived somewhere else in the UK, this also makes a great excuse for you to discover Birmingham before choosing to move here.

Building activity during ambassador training for an Offer-holder Day