Meet this year’s Editors!

Hi, my name is Isabel, I am from Surrey and am currently a first-year student at Birmingham. In year one we study Discovering the Middle Ages and Making of the Modern World, which is quite fascinating as it’s something I’ve never had the opportunity to study in depth before, but my interests mainly lie in Modern and American History such as the Cold War. Although, I find subjects such as Feminism in history very interesting, as I understand how it relates to the modern day (especially with the Me Too movement). Outside of my studies I am a part of the History Netball team and always find myself enjoying reading in my spare time, but I’m not opposed to a good show like The Peaky Blinders! Although with this pandemic, extracurricular activities have taken a halt but I’m positive in thinking things will get better! Writing for the history blog I feel is vital for it allows us to make people aware of how relevant history still is today, as well as educating fellow students on matters surrounding history itself, to also helping each other out by giving advice on history as well as being a student in general. If anyone wants to take part in the History Blog this year, feel free to contact me!

IHL077@student.bham.ac.uk

Hello, my name is Millie, and I am currently in my 2nd year at the university. In these very unusual times that we are living in, I hope that you are all keeping safe and well. I am very excited to be part of the editing team for the history blog this year and I hope that you pop back to see all the exciting ideas that we have coming up. As for me, apart from being a self-confessed tea addict, my historical interest is primarily in 20th-century history, specifically the Holocaust and personal testimonies. Outside of my studies, I am lucky enough to receive singing lessons here in Birmingham and am also part of several choirs here at the university. I cannot wait to get started working on the blog with Abigail and Isabel, and if you have any suggestions or questions please let me know! 

MRE993@student.bham.ac.uk

My name’s Abigail, I’m from Leicestershire and I’m representing final years on the editing panel for the history blog this year. I love all things early modern, arty and slightly morbid – my key historical interests are the material culture of Tudor and early Stuart periods, and my dissertation is on memorial portraiture in this time. Like many of us undergrads, my love for history was born through watching horrible histories after school, and falling slightly in love with Charles II (if you know, you know). Outside of my studies I am a woefully predictable history student: I love a good period drama, art gallery and national trust property! It’s my hope that this blog is, above all, diverse, and celebrates the incredible array of talents, expertise, interests and opinions of our department. Please do get in touch with me over email if you want to get involved and be a voice for us final years (or if you want to recommend me a good TV show – God knows I need it in lockdown). It goes without saying that being a student this academic year poses unprecedented circumstances, and Isabel, Millie and I sincerely hope that at the very least we can foster some vibrant departmental community through this blog, and share our passion for all things past. 

Amh748@student.bham.ac.uk