Four questions with…Steve

About Me

Job title: Employability Adviser (Careers Network)

Degree: BA Hons Moving Image Production, MA Film, PGCHPE (Post Graduate Certificate in Higher and Professional Education)

Industry experience: After years of teaching A level Film, I returned to my studies and received an MA, before starting my own business. Following this, I gained a teaching qualification and made a move into HE. After working as an Employability Officer for two years I joined Careers Network at UoB in 2019.

Catchphrase: I probably add ‘…or something to that effect’ at the end of far too many sentences.

Briefly describe your current role.

To put it simply, I help students get to where they want to get to. I support them with CVs, cover letters, LinkedIn profiles, applications and personal statements during one to ones, taught sessions, webinars and drop-ins. I also provide tailored support for students who have been invited to interviews and assessment centres, during Interview Preparation Appointments.

What is the biggest mistake you have made since graduating and what have you learned from it?

First things first, enthusiasm and genuine interest can really make you stand out at an interview. Adopting this approach can often lead to an interview feeling more like a conversation, rather than just questions and answers. However…

Enthusiasm alone is not enough. Let me explain. By the time I was 21 and had graduated, I’d had quite a few part time jobs. I’d put beans (among other things) on shelves for a large supermarket chain, I’d served (rather suspect) hotdogs to the public at an equally large cinema chain, before (sometime later) asking people to turn their phones off during theatre performances.

So, as one might imagine, having never been unsuccessful at an interview, I…how to put this…well…I thought I was great at them (this was a mistake). As much as it pains me to write this now, I thought I was brilliant at interviews. All I needed to do was to have a general understanding of the role/employer and then show up, dressed smartly and full of enthusiasm. This had gotten me every job so far, interviews must be easy right?

Wrong. Interviews for graduate roles are different. It took me more than a couple of unsuccessful interviews for this to truly sink in. To really be successful at interviews you need to do your research. Study their website, google them, follow them on LinkedIn and most importantly, spend some time really analysing the person specification and job description, bullet-point by bullet-point and ask then ask yourself…

– What would my very best example be if they asked me about this particular skill or specific experience?

– How do my values align with theirs?

– What makes this company/role stand out to me in particular?

-What’s happening in the sector and how might this affect or influence this employer?’

Once I started doing this for every interview, guess what? People started offering me jobs again. Not all of the time, but certainly more of the time. I’m rather embarrassed by how long it took me to adopt this approach, so please, learn from my mistakes/over confidence/hubris and remember that enthusiasm, while important, is not enough.

What is the best piece of advice you have been given?

It would be to remember that ultimately, people hire people. Yes, skills, experiences and ambitions are important, but really, the reason we have interviews is for the employer to get to know you better (and for you to find out more about them). Forget about the competition and just focus of being the best version of yourself.

What have you learned since graduating that could be helpful to other graduates like you?

You never really know which path your life if going to take. Yes, you can plan and try to make all the right moves but try to accept that there will always be things outside of your direct control. There will be times when you will need to adapt your skills, approach and outlook. I tried to make films, then I taught film, before working in a library, getting an MA, running a business, completing a teaching qualification and now somehow, I’m here, writing this blog. I couldn’t have planned for this when I was 21. Though I’m happy I’m here, writing this, now. Life can be funny like that. So be kind to yourself when things don’t go according to plan. You’ll make new plans. And that’s absolutely fine.

Can you recommend us something?

When you do, inevitably get invited to an interview or assessment centre, book an Interview Preparation Appointment with us on Careers Connect. They are 30 minutes long and it’s your chance to talk to a member of the team about your upcoming interview. We can ask you questions based on the specific role you have applied for and give you feedback, but ultimately, it’s your time. It’s entirely up to you what you’d like us to focus upon and a chance to ask us any questions you might have.

You may also wish to try Shortlist Me, a free online service on our website that lets you complete a variety of online interviews. It will give you the chance to get more comfortable answering questions online and will allow you to self-assess your performance, in preparation for any recorded video interviews you have been invited to.

Finally, just click on the following link to access our online interview resources.  

So, thanks for reading. I do hope you’ve enjoyed it…or something to that effect.

Steve