Have you got any experience of receiving mental health treatment?
Would you like to share your story?
Do you want to be part of research recommending ways in which experiences of mental health treatment could inform future law reform?
I am currently looking for research participants who have experiences of receiving treatment in England or Wales.
If you self-identify as psychiatric survivor, are aged 18 or over and have any experiences of receiving treatments for the following but not limited to: anxiety, bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, depression, eating disorders, episodes of psychosis, schizophrenia, please consider taking part of this research.
What is narrative interview?
Narrative interview means that I will ask you to tell me your story of mental health and treatment. You can share as much or as little as you are comfortable to. Your views are invaluable in shaping the outcome of this project.
What happens if I take part?
- You and I (Magda) meet at your chosen location (your home, café, University of Birmingham)
- I will use a digital audio recorder to record your story
- I will transcribe this interview, anonymise it so you cannot be identified and use it to inform my findings
- I will ask you to consider taking part in the follow up Photo Elicitation Interview
- Once I finish this project I will send you a summary of my findings. You will be given access to the full thesis if you wish to.
What happens to the above information?
- Everything is in your control. You can stop the recording at any time and change your mind about taking part during the interview or up to 12 weeks after.
- I will be the only person to listen to the original recordings. Anonymised transcripts may be read by the research team only (myself and my supervisors: Professor Rosie Harding and Dr Emma Oakley).
- The recording will be destroyed once I complete my PhD research. Anonymised transcripts must be kept securely for 10 years. All data will be kept locked up or password protected.
- If you consent, I may offer your anonymised transcript to the UK Data Service for archiving.
Are there any benefits to taking part?
- You have a chance to tell your story
- You can help me understand experiences of mental health treatment
- You can help me make recommendations that could benefit people like yourself in the future
Can I have more information about all of this?
Of course, please contact me if you wish to take part or need more information.