Top tips for women working in a male dominated industry

Guest Blogger: Jo Maguire (MEng Civil Engineering with Industrial Experience, 2015)

I am a civil engineer at Mott MacDonald, a global multidisciplinary engineering and consultancy company. I began working for Mott MacDonald at the tender age of 18. Luckily, I have had some great experiences that have encouraged me to embrace the industry and use it to find my purpose in life. Over those years I have thought a lot about being a woman in a male dominated profession. Here are my top four tips for flourishing in that kind of environment, which are applicable no matter what industry you’re in.

You totally belong here

Whether it’s complete ignorance or a great sense of my abilities I never felt like I didn’t belong in engineering, but I have spoken to people who feel like they are not smart enough or bold enough to work in this industry. That feeling is called “imposter syndrome”, where individuals doubt their accomplishments and have a persistent internalised fear of being exposed as a “fraud”. Engineering is hard at times and you will be, from day one, working with people with years of experience who could possibly be world experts in their field. However, they will also be the people that will teach you. Civil engineering is so broad that you need to learn on the job and every new starter will be in the same position.

You don’t have to be a superhero

One of my pet hates is bios of female engineers who seem to excel at everything. They are the ones that companies like to showcase but often may not be relatable. I can guarantee the majority of women in engineering are not winning awards and changing the industry every week, yet this is the external face organisations like to show. We all have good days and bad days, there will be times it takes you 14 attempts to get a single drawing correct (this is from an actual experience of mine) to stepping up and chairing a meeting with a client. It’s a journey and there will be things that you are good at and things that you need to work on.

You have secret skills

Each and every one of us brings a unique skill to the table. My strength is being an enthusiastic chatterbox, this is excellent for getting to know teams, looking after people’s wellbeing and forming internal networks, which I rely on to get things done. If you are different, that shows you are bringing in something that is missing in your team. Engineering is not a solo game. We deliver projects across offices, disciplines, companies, for clients across the world.

You are part of a community

The best thing is you will never be alone: the dawn of social media and networking means you will never be the only one. There is a community of people who have been there and done that and will support you, navigating you through things that they have already done. I’m not saying there aren’t new routes to forge but you will never be alone.

To celebrate International Women’s Day on Friday 8 March, we will be celebrating the diversity of experience of our alumnae, staff and students and hosting a ‘share your day’ event on Twitter and Instagram. Get involved and share your day using the hashtag #UoBwomen