Four Questions with…Calum

Name: Calum Coker

Degree details:(BSc Sport and Exercise Sciences, 2017; MSc International Development, 2018)

Job title: Fundraising Officer at Action Against Hunger

Current role: My role involves working with students at universities around the UK to fundraise for, and support Action Against Hunger. Whether through international treks to far flung places such as Kilimanjaro or Machu Picchu, or working with them to come up with their own ideas or events on campus. I also help to provide support to our wider community fundraising team. No two days are ever the same in fundraising!

What is the biggest mistake you have made since graduating and what have you learnt from it?

The biggest mistake I’ve made is thinking that I’m too new or inexperienced to be able to challenge current ideas or bring new ones to the table. Your ideas are just as valid as anyone else’s  in the room, and being fresh out of university often means you can bring a new perspective to the table.

What is the best piece of advice you have been given?

The best piece of advice I’ve been given is to get a mentor. Even once you have graduated, you still have so much to learn. Having a mentor has helped to introduce me to new people, develop my skills, diversify my experiences and allowed me to continue challenging myself.

What have you learned since graduating that could be helpful to other graduates like you?

Do something you have a passion for! I love going to work every day and it means that I put my all into every task that I do and find it extremely rewarding.

Can you recommend us something?

I’d recommend Simon Sinek’s Ted Talk, How great leaders inspire action. It’s a real insight into what makes people tick and can be used in any aspect of life. And if I’m allowed one more, for anyone interested in the charity sector then I implore you to listen to Dan Pallotta’s Ted Talk, The way we think about charity is dead wrong.