Four questions with Shevina Shaw

We recently caught up with Class of 2020 graduate, Shevina Shaw, to find out what she’s been up to since graduating

Briefly describe your role: 

My role at Bloomberg is an account manager within the sales department, covering buy-side clients in Finland.  One of our main revenue generating products is the Bloomberg terminal which helps to bring transparency to the financial markets. As an account manager my main goal is to help the client get the most out of the terminal. This includes training clients, organising seminars or events to showcase the data we have to offer. Within my role you need to build strong and lasting relationships with these clients, understand their goals and or any challenges they have.  Offering them support by identifying opportunities to expand the firm’s use of the Bloomberg suite of solutions we have to offer.

What is the biggest mistake you have made since graduating and what have you learned from it?

The biggest mistake I have made since graduating is having low confidence due to my imposter syndrome.  This made me miss out on lots of opportunities as I was not confident enough to speak up when it mattered.  I thought that because no understood where I was coming from, it reduced my confidence to share my personal journey with others around me.  What I learned is that everyone has some form of imposter syndrome so being confident in being yourself is so important. Be confident enough to share your journey although it may be different that’s what makes you special. Confidence is not something that is gained overnight so practise ways to increase your confidence whether this be through public speaking, or doing something new. You will surprise yourself at what you can do given the right opportunity to shine.

What is the best piece of advice you have been given?

The best piece of advice I have ever been given is to say yes to opportunities that come your way, even if it makes you feel uncomfortable. Get comfy being uncomfortable! I have learned the most valuable lessons and developed the most outside my comfort zone. Your comfort zone can sometimes be a barrier to unlocking your full potential so just say yes and think later!

What have you learned since graduating that could be helpful to other graduates like you?

Your network is really your net worth, who you know can play a big part in your next opportunity. The people you surround yourself with can totally change your life one way or the other. So choose wisely. You can be the smartest person in the room but if you are not in the room with the right people you may not be as successful.

Always be kind to others because you never know which colleague has the power to change your life in the future. Finally, always keep in contact with the people you meet, even if it’s just checking in to see how they are!

Can you recommend us something?

Whilst at university I recommend joining social mobility charities like SEO London, Rare recruitment, or Upreach that help deliver educational training, and mentorship to support young people from underrepresented backgrounds. These charities will equip you with the invaluable knowledge and skill sets needed to thrive in the world of work.