20 Questions with Dr Maeve McHugh!

Hi all! As we’re all separated at the moment I thought a great way to get to know each other a bit better is to start a ’20 Questions with…’ segment here on the blog. I’ll be talking to lecturers, alumni and members of the society committees. First to kick us off, is Dr Maeve McHugh!

1. How long have you been at the University of Birmingham?

I started in September 2017

1. Do you have a favourite memory since being here?

I have lots! It is tough to choose. I think one of my favourites is being nominated for an outstanding teaching award, which meant an awful lot to me. It was lovely having that recognition from students.

1. What is your favourite topic to teach?

Greek archaeology! It is fair to say I’m obsessed with Greek material culture.

1. What got you inspired to be a lecturer?

A picture of the Parthenon. When I saw it, I immediately wanted to know everything about the society that created it.  I count myself very lucky to be in a position where I can teach and research a topic that never ceases to fascinate me. I learn something new every day.

1. Do you have a favourite bit of Classics/Ancient History/Archaeology?

I like being able to use history, literature, and archaeology in my research and teaching.  I am a huge fan of Greek pottery. I could happily spend a day looking at Greek art in a museum.

1. Do you have a least favourite bit?

Nothing!

1. Do you have any hobbies?

I enjoy being in the countryside and going hiking. I also enjoy visiting new places. I went to Bath recently and loved it.

1. If you were a god, what would you be god of?

I think I would be Artemis. She gets to do what she wants, hang-out with all sorts of animals, and have a bow and arrow!

1. What pet would you have? Mythical answers allowed.

Dogs are the absolute best companions, but if any creature were allowed, I would have to go for Pegasus.

1. Do you have a favourite artefact from the ancient world?

There are too many to choose from! I like lots of objects, but some of my favourites have to be the Lefkandi Centaur and the Antikythera Mechanism.

1. Favourite mythological story? Why?

Probably stories to do with the Trojan War. The stories are rich, detailed, and full of human victories and weaknesses.

1. If you could travel back in time and observe, where would you go?

I have discussed this on CAHA’s Kafeneion podcast. It is a tough one, but I think I would like to be invisible and impervious to any injuries and diseases. I would snoop around the Athenian agora all day, maybe during one of the Panathenaic processions.

1. Top 5 dinner party guests?

Homer, Antigone, Artemis, Exekias, and Aristophanes.

1. Do you remember what made you love Classics/Ancient History/Archaeology, what inspired you to study it?

Learning about Greek myth and art inspired me to learn more.

1. Most recent research?

My most recent chapter for my new monograph was on Aesop’s Fables and ancient Greek popular culture.

1. If you were a character from classical literature who would you be?

That is a difficult one because no one survives unscathed in any Greek literature or myth. I would probably be one of the goddesses or one of the Amazons, maybe Atalanta.

1. What books would you recommend for undergrads that aren’t academic?

Jane Austen’s Persuasion is something I have reread several times.

1. What’s the best film you watched recently?

I watched The First Man last week about the preparation for the moon landing. It was a good movie.

1. What is something you wish more people knew about Classics/Ancient History/Archaeology

This is an exciting time to study Classics, Ancient History and Archaeology because the disciplines are becoming more reflective about how and what we teach. As a result, the discipline is becoming more inclusive and aware of the wide range of peoples, cultures, statuses, and traditions that inhabited the ancient world. It is like another whole new world of research has opened up for us to explore, and the inclusion of voices from different cultures, backgrounds, and experiences have enriched our understanding of the ancient past.

1. Any words of wisdom for undergrads?

I recommend to keep working on your subjects every day, and enjoy your time at university because it goes too quickly!

Share: