Design, Contemporaneity and Relevance on the Shakespearean Stage – by Ruby Kwartz

My name is Ruby Kwartz and I am starting my second year of English Literature. Over the summer I took part in the Collaborative Research Internship, where I worked for Dr Ella Hawkins’ project, Design, Contemporaneity and Relevance on the Shakespearean Stage.

Our task as research interns was to undertake our own research into contemporary productions of Shakespeare’s plays with reference modern events, such as politics, culture or international affairs. Since this task was so broad, I initially felt intimidated by the amount of research that it would require to simply decide on a topic, let alone explore it in detail. Therefore, I decided to restrict my research to the main British theatres which regularly produce Shakespeare’s plays, simply to make the process more manageable. After some time browsing the RSC, Globe and National Theatre websites, I decided to focus on two productions of The Tempest from The Globe (2022) and RSC (2023) which both referenced the contemporary issue of climate change, yet used very different theatrical techniques.

Once I had decided on the topic, I had to decide the best way to begin more advanced exploration. I ended up opting for a comparative style of research, so I created a table to easily compare the two plays on features which were relevant to the project, such as costume, characterisation, lighting, setting etc. This made the comparison between the two plays very obvious and easy to interpret. I was also extremely lucky to have the opportunity to visit the Globe archives in London where I was able to access all digital and physical resources from the show, including the programme, director’s notes and a full-length recording of the play. Going to the archives was such a valuable experience as it allowed me to gain insight into the academic work that happens alongside the theatrical productions, in addition to getting to enter the Globe from the stage door which was very exciting!

I think that the most challenging aspect of the internship was the early stages of deciding what to research and how to do it. Whilst I have had experience learning English at school and university, I was completely new to the work of academic research and occasionally felt like I was heading in the wrong direction or not fulfilling the brief correctly. As I began with such a wide array of plays and themes to choose from, my lack of experience made it particularly challenging to be able to recognise what productions had value and warranted deeper research. However, as I progressed, the process of selection became easier and I became more confident in approaching new information. Whilst it was challenging at first, doing the internship gave me a new insight into academic research and the amount of effort that goes into the initial stages.

I learnt so much during the internship, both about the topic of contemporary Shakespeare productions and also the process of academic research in general. It allowed me to develop my skills in time management, self-discipline and organisation, which will certainly benefit my future studies. Therefore, I would strongly encourage anyone who is interested in their area of study to take part in the internship programme.

Ruby Kwartz, BA English