Placements – What are they and why should I get one?

My name is Cameron and I am currently in the 3rd Year of an MSci Chemistry with Industrial Experience course. But what does that all really mean?

For me it means that I have completed 2 years of a regular Master’s Degree and I’m now spending a year away from campus working as an analytical chemist at the Phillips66 Humber Oil Refinery in North Lincolnshire.

I began my placement here in early July 2017 and will work here throughout the year and finish in late July 2018. During this time I will complete various research projects as well as assisting in the day to day duties of an analytical chemist; which includes providing cover for the lab specialists whilst they’re away and performing routine testing.

But why should you be interested in an Industrial Placement course?

One of the major benefits is obviously employability! Spending a year working in industry looks great on your CV and will provide a wealth of things to talk about in interviews too. But not only that, it also gives you a trial run at what industry is like so you can find out if it’s what you’re interested in. For me I have always been interested in the Oil and Gas Industry so the opportunity to work in an oil refinery will allow me to see if I really do enjoy working in this area of industry.

A lot of placements are also paid, meaning that your company will pay you for your year’s work. Another bonus is that your tuition fee is reduced for your placement year so all in all there is more money coming in and less going out! What’s not to love?!

An Industrial Experience course has many advantages but there are also important things to consider. Firstly, most people haven’t had a full-time job before and talking from experience the most noticeable thing you miss are the holidays! University holidays are… generous… with around 100 days off per year, while you’re on placement you generally won’t get more than 25 days per year. Also working for 40 hours a week is tough and definitely takes some getting used to. You’ll also most likely have some “distance learning” modules throughout the year and this means you’ll be studying during the evenings to keep up with what everyone else back on campus is learning during their third year.

However, don’t let these things scare you! I personally think that an Industrial Experience course is one of the most valuable experiences you can gain from a degree and it can stand you in really good stead to get a great job after you’ve finished your degree.

In the next instalment of this monthly blog I’ll explain more about why I chose a degree in Chemistry and also why I picked the University of Birmingham!

Cameron – 3rd year, MSci Chemistry with Industrial Experience, on placement at Phillips66 Humber Oil Refinery in North Lincolnshire