Laura Seeney, third year Biomedical Science – Q&A

We asked third year Biomedical Science student, Laura Seeney some questions about her experiences studying at the University of Birmingham.

Why did you apply to study Biomedical Science at the University of Birmingham?

I originally applied to study Biomedical Science at the University of Birmingham because I loved the medical school and had met some really kind lecturers at open days and offer-holder days. I visited the university a few times since it is not too far from home for me, and I spent a lot of time getting a feel for campus.

What has your overall experience as an University of Birmingham student been like so far?

I have had a really great experience as a student so far at the University of Birmingham. Despite spending more time than expected at home due to the pandemic, I have still made friends for life and had a fulfilling student experience. The course supported us so well when study was remote, and I have felt supported the entire time.

What has been the best thing about studying at the University of Birmingham?

The best thing about studying at Birmingham is the campus; it is such a large university! When I walk around campus I never fail to see somebody that I know and I love this community feel. After living in halls most students live so close to campus so I can just wander on to campus in the morning, but also am only 10 minutes away from the city centre on the train so exploring beyond campus is really easy too.

Are there any particular modules or experiences that you have undertaken that you enjoyed?

I have particularly enjoyed my third-year optional module; I chose to study ‘Reproductive Medicine’. It was a really competitive module to get a place on as it was oversubscribed – and for good reason! The module leads and lecturers were amazing and so supportive. As a small learning group we had great discussions and my eyes were opened to some really incredible technology and thought-provoking case studies.

Do you feel prepared for life after graduation?

I have held an offer to train to teach secondary school science since my second year summer. Undoubtedly, the University of Birmingham helped me to gain the confidence to achieve this offer and have provided incredible career and tutor support throughout the application process. 

What advice would you give to students thinking about studying Biomedical Science?

I would tell any students thinking about studying on the course to really consider the course content. The course focuses on what we already know about how the body works and how it goes wrong, but also there is a strong focus on where the missing knowledge is. As Biomedical Science students you have to enjoy elements of creativity, for example in the form of designing experiments to find a novel antibody for a novel biomarker of a disease. It is a fantastic course but the content and the assessment is challenging. However, if you are genuinely inspired by disease and being a part of improving health then it is very rewarding.