One year on with Kathryn Myers

We recently caught up with Class of 2020 graduate, Kathryn Myers, to find out what she’s been up to since graduating.

What’s your current job role? What does this mean on a day-to-day basis?

I went straight from my undergraduate degree into a postgraduate programme at the University of Birmingham to study English Language, Culture and Communication. So, at the moment, I’m working my way through my MA dissertation and agonising over particular words I’ve used in my first draft! Alongside studying, I also work part time as a Marketing Assistant for a social enterprise who I did my Impact Internship with towards the end of my final year of my undergraduate degree. On a typical day, I might start with a bit of studying to complete asynchronous learning preparation and end with a few hours of social media management, idea generation to market products and services, and coordinate a team of volunteers.

How has your career developed since graduating from the University of Birmingham?

Personally, going into a postgraduate degree straight out of my English and Drama undergraduate course felt like a natural progression because I wanted to further my learning in one of these disciplines and have a more in-depth experience as part of one department, rather than as a Joint Honours student. By doing so, I have learnt a lot more about specialist subjects within English Language that how to use analytical tools. However, taking on a part time job has also given me a foot in the door that meant I had practical experience to reflect on in applications for jobs after graduation, so much so that I’ve already managed to secure a role as a Marketing Executive after I hand in my dissertation!

Why did you originally apply to Birmingham?

I’m originally from Thailand, so I came to Birmingham to study English and Drama at the university. One of the main reasons why I decided to apply to Birmingham was through family connections with it as one of my close relatives studied at the university. I think my decision to go with the University of Birmingham was solidified when I visited campus on one, very cold, day in December where I felt the atmosphere and buzz of a strong community. This was important to me because when I looked at universities, I wanted somewhere that offered more than a degree, with lots going on in student groups, sports, careers, and general student life.

Did you get involved in any extracurricular activities as a student?

Yes – so many! I was one of those students who threw myself at anything and everything. In my first year of university, I started the Personal Skills Award and joined a load of societies and volunteering groups like Craft, Guild TV, Monday Night Club, Thai, Yoga, to name but a few. I was rushed off my feet most of the time, so toned it down a lot and only joined one student group this academic year.

What are your fondest memories of the University?

There are a few to reminisce fondly back on but, without loads of cheesy clichés, they all revolve around the people I met whilst at the university and the extra-curricular activities I got involved in. Even the smaller memories of walking back from Monday Night Club, a student-run social club for adults with learning difficulties in the wider community, with the rest of the committee and debriefing how fun the session was; going for late-night top-up shops in Selly Oak with my flatmates whilst other students were starting to go on their night outs; nights working on the Vale in the Student Mentor Welfare Office and sharing shifts with some of the amazing student team looking out for all our mental health.