Three Wise Brummies

As we enter the Festive season, we asked members of our Postgraduate Class of 2021 graduating cohort for some wise words.

Congratulations to those graduating this December and welcome to your alumni community!

Hannah Reay-Jones (MA Education, 2021) 

‘My advice to young professionals is to have faith in yourself and your abilities to achieve and thrive as you step into the working world. It can be very daunting when moving into a team or workplace in which your colleagues have more experience or knowledge within a particular company or field. It is important to keep reminding yourself of your value and worth, especially in situations that are new or unfamiliar where you may think your ideas or opinions may not be relevant or valued. Learning and evolving is a lifelong process and does not end once we complete our time in formal education. As recent graduates we are vital to the workplace bringing new perspectives and ideas that are integral within our advancing and changing society. Go forward as you begin your career with confidence in your ability, a willingness to learn and boldness in your presence, voice, and ambitions.’ 

Olive Lau (M.Sc. Railway Systems Engineering & Integration, 2021) 

‘Studying my MSc with BCRRE at University of Birmingham is one of the most enjoyable time in life, I am always motivated and inspired by the passion of the people and how much they enjoy their professions. My experience at UoB cultivates my enthusiasm for railway, the passion motivates me to move forward, being optimistic to face challenges and I really enjoy the taste of success, if not learn from the mistakes and carry on.   

My advice to others would be ‘don’t be shy to show your passion’, the passions you possess are silver and gold that make you attractive, stand out and shine. Don’t be afraid to take risks, as new opportunities and ideas may come along!

Olive is now a graduate System Engineer-Rail at WSP Rail ’ 

Noto Suoneto (MA International Political Economy, 2021)

‘My best experience as a student of University of Birmingham is that I am given a chance to ‘bring’ Asia to Edgbaston. In July 2021, me and my classmates were successfully held the first ever Birmingham Asia Forum (BAF), an event that provide a constructive and deep discussion on the hotly debated topics around the shifting global power to Asia, Asia-United Kingdom relationship, the intense relations between Asian countries with the Western world’s major powers, the developments and challenges of Asia’s economy and progression of democracy and rule of law in Asia, and the state of environmental governance in some Asian countries.  

The 2021 Birmingham Asia Forum is not only a platform to refresh the knowledge and understanding of Asia, the most fast-paced developing region in the world, particularly for the students in the University and the United Kingdom, but also a proof that despite COVID-19 we can do something great and impactful together. The trust given by the Vice Chancellor and Department of POLSIS to me is extremely astounding. I am not only proud as Indonesian, Asian, but now as an ‘once trusted’ alumni.’