Four Questions with Rhi Harrison

Four Questions with Rhi Harrison  

During Pride month, we caught up with 2020 graduate Rhi Harrison (BA Classical Literature and Civilisation, 2020) to find out what made them proud and how their degree helped with their career in drag. Harri works during the day at Cadbury World helping with tours help with tours and day to day operations and at night as the co-host of Kings n’Things drag night as Harri Hooker Green.  

What has been your journey from starting at University to graduation to where you are now? 

The first time I went out in drag was societies night in first year. It was the first time in a supportive environment and meeting LGBT people for the first time and it was really special. As a student I was in PantoSoc and other theatrical societies and I took part in Jellyfish drag night, this set the scene for taking up drag. 

I meet one of my drag dads (like a mentor, similar to Richard E Grant’s character in There’s Something About Jamie) at Jellyfish drag night and got asked to perform at Kings n’Things. I went from actually watching Kings n’Things whilst still at University to now being one of the co-hosts! Kings n’Things is the longest running drag show in Birmingham so it’s an honour to now be one of the co-hosts. I also came second in a drag competition last year which really helped get my name out on the scene.  

What do you most enjoy about your current role and what skills that you developed while studying have been helpful in you career? 

For my day job at Cadbury World I really enjoys the historical element of working at Cadbury and also helping people have a good time during their visit which is very similar to drag. There is a lot of correlation between giving a good Cadbury experience and also a good drag night experience – will look back a videos to hear friends laughing as this is what they enjoy most about doing drag, entertaining people! It also feels good to explore gender in fun ways and I can pick and choose what I want to choose a character.  

I developed a lot of confidence and teamwork skills that you need doing drag through the presentation and group work I did. Project research and writing was helpful for becoming my own manager as you are your own manager when you’re a performer.  

What advice would you give to a recent graduate who is thinking of taking their first steps into your sector/career? 

Anyone who wants to do drag should just do, you get to explore yourself. You can do so many fun things and you can try so many different things and you get to be silly. It’s hard to find stuff in your field so you might as well still apply, the worst you might get is a no. Any experience is worth it. 

  What is your proudest achievement? 

My proudest achievement is a big question! My proudest physical achievement is graduating university. It was three years of hard work that I am proud to have completed, through painful struggle and joyous highs. However, on a personal level, I am proud to have grown into a person that is braver than my younger self thought I could ever be. That growth helped me graduate and to continue to be more of my true self everyday. I spent a long time being someone that could be walked over, and I am learning to stand up for myself more each day. I have pride in knowing that I am truer and bolder now than I have ever been.