Four Questions with Jason Shiu

We caught up with 2016 graduate Jason Shiu (LLB Law, 2016) to find out what he has been up to since graduating, the importance of not having a singular goal and being able to adjust and the importance of being a ‘sponge’ after graduation.

Briefly describe your role: 

I currently work as a Compliance Officer with a specialism in the Surveillance field in one of the world’s largest asset manager. My role entails the monitoring and oversight over our portfolio managers and traders that deal with global banks on a daily basis.

What is the biggest mistake you have made since graduating and what have you learned from it?

The biggest mistake since graduating was having a singular goal and not being able adjust the direction in which I took. Since that point, learning to adjust and calibrate along the way has made a tremendous impact in my career and life generally. The learning has been to be comfortable in situations that you never foresaw – everyone will come across this at some point, it is how you utilise that position that creates opportunities.  

What is the best piece of advice you have been given?

Be a sponge – absorb the information akin to a sponge absorbing water. Feathers to the cap…

What have you learned since graduating that could be helpful to other graduates like you?

Whatever course you are on is not definitive of where you end up – I was “supposed” to become a lawyer, I’m not. In fact, the position I am in is arguably far higher than I imagined had I gone down the ‘lawyer’ pathway. Never say never and embrace opportunity that comes – the next meeting, phone call, network event could lead to alternative pathways that you never planned but result in a far greater outcome.

Can you recommend us something?

Don’t be fixated in a single rationale, belief or process – everything is subject to change in 2023 and beyond. Take in all the information available and decide for yourself objectively what is reasonable – usually it is somewhere in the middle.