Wilkie Collins to the RSC: A Tale of Two Scholarships

Mary describes how the UG Research Scholarship provided her with her first taste of academic research, starting her on a journey that took her from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art to Connecticut USA, before returning to UoB having secured a prestigious RSC/UoB PhD studentship.

My Undergraduate Research Scholarship involved working with Dr Caroline Radcliffe from the Drama department on her project entitled ‘Wilkie Collins and the Drama’. I was involved in examining manuscript versions of Collins’ plays and comparing differences between various scripts of the same play. Other tasks included organising research material and searching for nineteenth century newspaper reviews of theatrical productions of his plays. The Research Scholarship gave me a fantastic insight into independent academic research – what lecturers do outside of teaching, how they investigate different topics and what methodologies are included. The Scholarship also showed me the benefits of collaborative research and introduced me into a community of researchers with wide-ranging topics – it was great to meet up regularly over the summer to socialise.

I personally found the Scholarship extremely helpful in enabling me to think about my own independent research and the upcoming extended essay I would have to write during my final year at Birmingham. Working with Caroline empowered me to think that I was capable of writing my own independent research. I was very eager to continue further study following my experience that summer, and when I applied for MA courses, the experience particularly stood out on my CV. I am very grateful for the opportunity I was given to work with Caroline, and interviewers were impressed with my commitment, dedication and attention to detail required of me when I assisted with the project.

Mary at graduation

I was successful in obtaining a place to study MA Text and Performance at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) in partnership with Birkbeck College, University of London.  The highlight of my time on my MA was the dissertation. I decided to undertake a practical dramaturgical project where I was fortunate to work at the Eugene O’Neill Theater Center in Connecticut over the summer of 2017 as a literary intern. I spent eight weeks offering dramaturgical support across the summer conferences (National Puppetry Conference, National Music Theater Conference, National Playwrights Conference and the Cabaret and Performance Conference). My Undergraduate Research Scholarship and the skills I developed whilst undertaking it definitely came in good use during my literary internship – working under pressure, time management, attention to detail etc.

Following my MA I have since returned to the University of Birmingham and was awarded the Royal Shakespeare Company/University of Birmingham The Other Place PhD Scholarship. My research focuses on the intentions behind new work at The Other Place in Stratford-upon-Avon, and I’ve recently been following the rehearsal process of the 2018 Mischief Festival It’s been great to watch the company develop new work in the rehearsal room and to witness first-hand how plays are created at the RSC. I’m thrilled to return to the University because it’s such a great place to undertake research.  A lot has happened since the summer of 2015 when I completed my Undergraduate Research Scholarship, and I’m still forever grateful for the opportunities that have emerged following that project.

Mary Davies, BA Drama and English Literature, MA Text and Performance, PhD Shakespeare Institute