Midlands Art Papers: Ensuring Art in the Midlands is put on the ‘MAP’!

April-Lina (BA History of Art) joins forces with the Midlands Art Papers team to showcase the Midlands’ fantastic works of art and design accessible in public collections.

For my Undergraduate Research Scholarship, I had the amazing opportunity of working for Midlands Art Papers, for five weeks over the summer. Midlands Art Papers (MAP) is a collaborative online journal, based at the University of Birmingham in co-operation with eleven partner institutions across the Midlands. MAP’s aim is to research and bring awareness to the fantastic works of art and design in public collections across the region. I was fortunate enough to be able to work with MAP’s editor, Dr Kate Nichols. My main roles consisted of managing MAP’s social media, blog, editing for Issue 2 and researching for my own article, to be released next year- all slightly daunting but extremely exciting tasks!

Midlands Art Papers' Logo.
Midlands Art Papers’ Logo.

When commencing my scholarship, I was unsure as to what I should expect. I knew that I would be working on the blog and social media, in addition to researching my own article. However, Dr Kate Nichols gave me a great deal of independence, trusting my abilities. This allowed me to channel my vision into how I wished to increase the profile of MAP through the blog and social media.

During my time, I was able to visit all of the collections that are part of MAP. Due to this, I was given the opportunity to either meet or contact all of the curators that are a part of these amazing museums and collections. This for me was a very special, invaluable aspect of the scholarship, as it allowed me to interact with those who are passionate and involved on a day-to-day basis with the remarkable collections that we have in the Midlands.

In addition to this, I thoroughly enjoyed being able to carry out my own independent research on an artwork of my choice. This was for my ‘Object In Focus’ article to be released in Issue 3 of MAP, next year. I had set my mind on writing and researching Otto Dix’s etching, Match Seller (Streichholzhandler), produced in 1920, because of previous research I had completed on the artist. This artwork is part of the New Walk Museum and Art Gallery’s collection in Leicester. It was fantastic to be able to pursue my own lines of research and visit several archives and libraries during this time.

Otto Dix, Match Seller (Streichholzhandler), etching, 1920, New Walk Museum and Art Gallery’s Collection.

Working on Midlands Art Papers, has also changed my perception of academic research. By being able to actively take part in archival research, it allowed me to really consider the work that had gone into the final articles that I was copyediting for MAP Issue 3.

I would highly recommend anyone to apply for a UGRS scheme. I know that any individual who is fortunate enough to have the opportunity to work for MAP in the future will be sure to gain so much from this unique and enriching experience.

April-Lina Waine, BA History of Art

Find out more about the MAP project on their blog