My 10-Day Journey with the GAPS Programme: A Student Physiotherapist’s Perspective

By Aaron Nandray (MSc Pre Reg Student) and Katie Cronin

Photo credit: Nicola Gotts Photography Ltd. Aaron Nandray right.

As a student physiotherapist on placement, my 10-day experience with the GAPS programme was both professionally enriching and personally transformative. The combination of high-level training, community engagement, and camaraderie among athletes and staff created a familial atmosphere that made this journey unforgettable.

From the moment I arrived at GAPS, I was welcomed with warmth and enthusiasm, setting a positive tone for the days ahead. My initial role was to assist in the physiotherapy assessments of the para-athletes from around the world, including nations like Cameroon, Fiji, and New Zealand. These early interactions were crucial in understanding each athlete’s unique needs and preparing tailored physiotherapy plans.

One of the most inspiring aspects of the programme was the chance to work closely with such a diverse group of individuals. The athletes and staff, hailing from different nations, brought a rich array of experiences and cultures. For instance, working with athletes from Uganda who arrived at Birmingham needing special assistance and a wheelchair highlighted the varied needs and the importance of personalised care. Similarly, interactions with athletes and coaches from Nigeria and South Africa provided insights into the different avenues of tailored care.

The programme included advanced workshops on nutrition, physiotherapy techniques, and coaching. These sessions, led by us, physiotherapy students from the University of Birmingham, as well as guest speakers. The session provided me with new insights into sports physiotherapy, particularly tailored to the needs of para-athletes. The practical knowledge gained here will undoubtedly benefit my future career.

Photo credit: Nicola Gotts Photography Ltd. Aaron Nandray 2nd from the right and Katie Cronin right

A unique aspect of the GAPS programme was the training our individual voice. These sessions were particularly beneficial as it taught us how to effectively communicate the importance of our work and advocate for the athletes. This newfound confidence will help me in raising awareness about the critical role of physiotherapy in supporting para-athletes.

The support from the University of Birmingham, CGF and its volunteers made this experience seamless and highly productive. Saying goodbye to the friends I’d made was bittersweet, but the excitement for the upcoming Games overshadowed any sadness.

Reflecting on this experience, the GAPS programme is more than just a training camp; it’s a catalyst for change. It has empowered us as physiotherapists to not only excel in our fields but also to become advocates for inclusivity and equality. The knowledge, skills, and friendships I’ve gained are invaluable, and the sense of family we’ve built will stay with me forever.

The programme’s success underscores the importance of such initiatives in fostering global sports development and inclusivity. I am grateful for the opportunity; I look forward to the next GAPS programme. 

K.Cronin@bham.ac.uk