MPH Graduate Testimonial (April 2016)

Written by Claire Humphries, International Public Health PhD Student at the University of Birmingham 

I decided to return to university to study for the MPH whilst working for a charity in Birmingham. My time in the third sector provided me with the opportunity to co-manage a number of public health projects, which is what ultimately sparked my passion for pursuing a career in this field.

During my MPH studies I kept an eye out for relevant job openings and managed to secure 2 weeks of work experience at Public Health England. Towards the end of the academic year a PhD scholarship opportunity became available and despite not planning to jump straight into further study, I decided to apply. This was predominantly because I had the opportunity to extend the MPH dissertation work I had become passionate about. Additionally, I knew that the experience of completing valuable research in international public health was likely to prove a valuable asset in my career aspirations of working in global health.

I began the PhD in October 2015 – my project focusses on clinical handover in low and middle-income countries. Essentially the aim of the work is to establish current facilitators/barriers to patient information transfer between primary and secondary care providers; this will help to inform evidence-based interventions to improve continuity of care for those with chronic health conditions.

It is safe to say that I regularly employ a number of skills acquired during my MPH studies as a postgraduate researcher. Most notably, PEaS and ESRM have provided me with a solid base of statistical and epidemiological knowledge. Optional modules such as public health in low and middle-income countries and health promotion have also given me a rich insight into working in different cultural, sociological, and resource-constrained settings.

In general I believe that the MPH provides a fantastic opportunity for students to learn a great deal from their lecturers and peers alike, putting them in good stead to enter the world of public health in a variety of roles. It also produces an environment where like-minded individuals are able to network, which can prove incredibly useful with regard to future job opportunities and organisational collaborations.

Author: Claire

PhD Student, International Public Health

Share: