MPH Graduate Testimonial (May 2017)

Written by Stephanie Fowler, Senior Analyst at the Private Sector Health Alliance of Nigeria (PHN) 

I had very little exposure to Public Health during my years of training as a Medical Doctor. It was during my years of practice working as a Medical Doctor in Public Health facilities in Nigeria that I realized that I had a passion for health promotion. This led me to seek counsel from senior colleagues in the field who advised me to enroll for a Master’s Degree in Public Health. This informed my decision to apply for a Master’s in Public health at the University of Birmingham.

During my time at University, I tried to keep my options open by signing up for as many courses as possible to increase my knowledge on the different areas of public health: I was determined to get the most out of the program. I looked out for job opportunities for MPH graduates both in the UK and overseas and I started connecting with people in the field back home in Nigeria to get a better understanding of the public health space and the job opportunities available.

I currently work as an Analyst for an NGO in Nigeria called Private Sector Health Alliance of Nigeria, a private sector-led coalition that focuses on accelerating Nigeria’s progress in achieving health-related Sustainable Goals (SDGs). I spend most of my time researching various health topics, searching for innovative approaches to addressing challenges in the health system, writing proposals, brainstorming and doing some field work including liaising with other NGOs and private sector organisations keen to support the governments health agenda.

The knowledge I gained from the Masters Programme helped to shape my views on the various public health challenges facing many developing countries including Nigeria (particularly the Public Health in Low-middle income countries modules 1& 2). I would encourage anyone interested in the MPH program with the intentions of returning to a developing country to keep their options open by signing up for as many modules as possible, keep up to date with global public health news. Be keen to learn as much as you can during the program – all of the information can be applied even in resource-constrained settings.

Author: Claire

PhD Student, International Public Health

Share: