Student Rep Report: Term Three – Reflections (20.09.15)

Two years ago, I decided I was ready to turn the vague idea of obtaining a masters degree into a reality. When I started looking at where I wanted to apply, I had clear ideas about what kind of MPH programme I wanted, as well as further goals on the other side of completing my degree. I also wanted the opportunity to live abroad, if possible. When I found the University of Birmingham’s MPH, it immediately became one of my top choices, due to the fact that the university is ranked internationally, and that the courses available ticked every box in what I was specifically looking for in an MPH programme. Choosing to attend the University of Birmingham’s Masters of Public Health programme is a decision I would make again in a heartbeat. In reflection of my experiences with the programme so far, I can honestly say that I could not be more pleased with everything I have gained over the past ten months.

At the end of term 3, I have successfully completed the classroom portion of the degree, and am about to dive head first into working on the dissertation portion. When I started the programme, I knew that I wanted to make the most of my degree and get as much out of it as I possibly could, which what led to make the decision to complete the MPH SEAL. The SEAL or Statement of Extra-Accredited Learning includes an additional 50 assessed credits on top of the MPH. Having just reached the other side of the classroom portion, I have to say that completing the SEAL definitely proved to be a challenge. Where most of my peers on the MPH have been finished with course related work, and have been working on the dissertation aspect of the programme for weeks now, I have only just finishing my last assessed paper this week. That said the extra work and time was most definitely worth it to me. I would recommend the SEAL to prospective students who are interested, but I also suggest considering the extra time commitment and stamina required to be successful.

My experience as the international student representative for the MPH has also been incredibly rewarding, and has furthered my confidence in the high quality of education on this course. When I have conferred feedback from fellow students to module leads and the programme head, the feedback was always taken seriously, and where possible changes were discussed in order to address any issues that students brought up. This programme has a real desire to understand and meet the needs of its students, as well as provide the highest quality of educational training as possible. As my fellow student representative had said to me, it means a programme we consider to be quite good, will only get better for future cohorts.

As an international student, one of the biggest hurdles I had in the first few weeks of the programme was figuring out that when someone asks me if I am alright, they are in no way trying to imply that I look like something is wrong. My fellow international students have expressed feedback related to the programme itself. This is in the process of being met, and a meeting have been held to hear input from students relating to broadening the global perspective of the course generally and in further improving on the new MPH International degree, which is currently in its first year.

Personally, I came into the MPH programme with the hopes that it would be a successful route into infectious disease epidemiology, and it did in fact directly lead to a starting position in the field before I had even formally completed the degree, which I have to admit was completely unexpected. Further, the MPH programme has done more than just develop my level of knowledge of public health, it has also helped me develop a much higher degree of critical thinking, which is something I personally consider among the top in my list of what I have gained from my time spent on the course, and a main reason as to why I am so pleased with the programme.

I feel quite strongly that my decision to apply to the programme is, absolutely, one of the best things I have personally done for myself. For international students like myself considering studying an MPH abroad, I would definitely and highly recommend the MPH programme at the University of Birmingham.

By Ember Hilvers, MPH (SEAL) Student and International Student Rep

Author: Claire

PhD Student, International Public Health

Share: