MPH Student Testimonial (April 2016)

Written by Luke Robertshaw, Radiation Epidemiology Information Analyst at Public Health England

I came into the MPH (part-time) from the charity sector, not having worked directly in a public health role before.  The course has given me a good understanding of areas in which a public health professional can work and the kind of skills that are required.

Towards the end of my first year, I was able to apply for some jobs in public health.  I could put the modules I had already completed on my CV and used a number of the assignments as examples to meet person specifications, such as HiHi and PEaS.  When interviewing for my current job, the content of the MPH was extremely valuable in helping me prepare a presentation at the interview that required understanding of epidemiological studies.

I am now working as part of a team within Public Health England that manages two long-term epidemiological studies. One is following up service personnel that were present at the British nuclear weapons tests in the 1950’s and 60’s, comparing the incidence of diseases with a similar control group that were not present at the tests.  The other study is observing patterns of radiation exposure and disease among classified radiation workers in the nuclear industry.

Author: Claire

PhD Student, International Public Health

Share: