IT Services’ apprentice scheme

The University’s apprentice scheme is in its third year and has more than 50 apprentices in a range of roles across the University. The scheme is particularly successful in IT Services where it now forms an essential part of the fabric of our department. During the last three years we have taken on 18 apprentices, six of whom have achieved full time roles. We currently have seven apprentices on programme, working in roles at the IT Service Desk and in End User Services.

Whilst there is no guarantee of a job at the end, the scheme provides a valuable experience of working in a busy IT environment and offers a strong career path. It also allows us to develop staff with the right types of skills for the job. Jake Saunders, Desktop Team Coordinator in EPS, helps coordinate the apprentice scheme on behalf of IT Services with the support of other IT Managers and Caleb Wright, the University’s apprenticeship coordinator.

Jake has no doubts about the value of the scheme, saying, “Apprentices bring a fresh pair of eyes; they question our processes and the way we do things and often suggest new ways of working. They are eager to get involved in lots of different things and develop new skills.”

As well as learning practical skills in the work place, the apprentices also work towards an industry recognised qualification (Customer Service Practitioner Level 2 for IT Service Desk apprentices and IT Infrastructure Level 3 for End User Services) and 20 percent of their time is spent on day release at for off-the-job training. As well as being set coursework, the apprentices are given projects which utilise the practical skills they have learnt which are then assessed by a third party who determines their competency for the role.

As well as learning practical skills in the work place, the apprentices also work towards an industry recognised qualification (Customer Service Practitioner Level 2 for IT Service Desk apprentices and IT Infrastructure Level 3 for End User Services) and 20 percent of their time is spent on day release at for off-the-job training. As well as being set coursework, the apprentices are given projects utilising the practical skills they have learnt which are then assessed by a third party. The University also provides an excellent support network for apprentices and we were recently named ‘Large Employer of the Year’ at the Apprenticeship Awards held by Halesowen College.

Paul Fogg

Contrary to some popular misconceptions, the scheme is open to people of all ages. Paul Fogg is now a permanent Desktop Support Specialist in EPS. Paul worked for many years as a cameraman in the media but was looking for a career change and saw the apprenticeship as a great way to get into IT. Not coming from an IT background, Paul admits that it was a steep technical learning curve and he put in lots of hours to get up to speed. Nevertheless, he was given a special recognition by Halesowen College for the quality of his coursework.

“I knew I wanted to work at the University and as an apprentice you’re given the skills you need to succeed here,” said Paul, “learning on the job, you know you are learning practical skills to help in the day to day”. Paul concedes he couldn’t have done it without the support from his line manager, who arranged for him to shadow other teams so he could fulfil his coursework and made him the lead on projects so he could gain more valuable experience. He also received support from his team, adding, “The people I worked with had lots of knowledge and experience and whilst everyone was busy they all took the time out to help me if I needed it. I was gradually given more and more complex work which helped me secure a job at the University afterwards”.

Kyle Smith

Current apprentice Kyle Smith is about eight months into his apprenticeship in EPS. Having previously worked as an IT apprentice for the NHS, Kyle is really enthusiastic about the quality of his experience here in IT Services, “I like the freedom of being treated like an adult,” said Kyle, “I get to learn about what I’m interested in and it’s a real pleasure. I wanted to learn about Macs and so I was specifically assigned work where I can get experience learning from other IT specialists. It’s great”.

Whilst having no illusions about there being a permanent job at the end of the scheme, Kyle is confident that the skills he has learnt so far and the experience of working at the University will benefit his CV. “Since I started working here I’ve been given lots of experience of working with a wide range of operating systems,” said Kyle, “but what’s also been really helpful is the culture of meeting lots of different types people across the University, it really develops your personal skills; I love talking to academics and researchers and finding out what they do at the University, it is so interesting and it’s a really great experience”.

Find out more about the University’s apprentice scheme here.