Hi! My name is Mehnoor and I am a second year Nursing Student. To get to know me I thought it would be best if I answer some questions. So, here we go…
- Why do I want to become a nurse?
Well, the simple answer is that one day my mum said to me, “You know, I think you would make a good nurse”. From that day on I did some research about the career and explored my options. The main thing for me was that with Nursing there are so many different paths you can choose once qualified – you don’t have to work in a hospital. There’s community, research, school nursing and many more. Also, I don’t mind seeing a bit of blood and gore!
- Why did I choose to study Nursing at the University of Birmingham?
It just made sense because I live fairly locally (although I have to admit sometimes the bus can be a nightmare when trying to get home!). Also, you experience all three fields in the first year which is great if you’re unsure of what you want to do.
- What do I enjoy most about the course?
That’s a hard one because I really enjoy placement because it’s where you learn the most and get hands on experience. At the same time though I enjoy university because I get to catch up with my friends and you realise that you’re all in the same boat.
- My experience in three words:
- Realistic – it opens your eyes to not just the range of physical issues people undergo but also the social issues like housing and family situations
- Challenging – juggling assignments can really be a challenge if you’re on placement at the same time
- Social – at uni you make new friends and on placement you work closely with nurses and wider members of the team and more importantly, with your patients.
- Where do I see myself career wise in 10 years’ time?
Truth be told nobody knows where they’ll be in 10 years’ time, but I can take a guess! Probably a Practice Nurse.
Well, I think that’s enough from me for now. Keep an eye out for my next blog, but until then, bye!