Introducing me – Beth Woodward, 3rd year GEC

Hello!

I’m new to joining the student blogging team so here is a bit more about me…

I am currently in my 3rd year of studying Graduate Entry Medicine, which means I am technically a 4th year medic. Before getting into Medicine, I studied Biomedical Sciences here at UoB which I loved and did some exciting things such as going to Tanzania to experience working in a hospital and a summer research project in Cancer sciences. It feels weird to say I have been a student for 6 years because it has gone so fast, I can still remember moving into my flat on the Vale as a Fresher!

I’m from Tamworth, which isn’t too far from Birmingham and as I now commute to all my hospital placements, it makes sense to live at home. Outside of studying, I have a few different hobbies which are mainly exercise related. I love going to the gym to strength train and enjoy practising yoga (keeps me zen). Last year I qualified as a personal trainer because I wanted to know how to give exercise advice to patients when I’m a practising doctor. I also try to squeeze in some running and horse riding. During Biomedical Sciences and before medicine became a big thing taking up my time, I used to compete regularly with horses but now I just enjoy getting to ride non-competitively if I’ve got time on the weekends! Aside from all these, I work in a shop and as a barista to help pay for all the coffees I drink at bouji coffee shops around Birmingham (200’ coffee and Medicine café are a must if you like ‘gram worthy cafes).

A few more facts about me are that my all-time favourite food is crusty bread, nothing beats it! I absolutely love Indian food with my favourite dishes being a dhal or dhansak. I have a pony called Appleiack (who I basically grew up with and have had for 15 years). My favourite coffee is a gingerbread latte, even in July! I’d say I’m quite boring but something vaguely interesting about me is I did a skydive during fresher’s week after a fresher’s night out, which is quite inventive way to get rid of feeling a bit rough?!

I will be writing blogs regularly so look out for them or you can hear more from me on the college of medical and dental sciences Instagram page.

Thank you for reading  🙂

Beth x

Share: