Meet the team – Mike Dean

The latest New Core Meet the Team interview comes from Mike Dean, the New Core Finance Workstream Lead.

What is your role on New Core?

I head up the Finance Workstream for the New Core Programme, and am responsible for leading on all elements of the system implementation as it relates to Finance and Research processes.

What were you doing before joining New Core?

Prior to New Core, I spent 7 years as College Head of Finance for Engineering and Physical Sciences and in a variety of Finance Office roles prior to that. In September this year, I celebrated being at the University of Birmingham as an employee for 25 years. (I know I don’t look old enough!)

What has been your focus over the past few weeks/months?

Since the early part of June, the Finance Workstream has been engaged in our main testing phase. This commenced with initial System Testing and has now moved to System Integration Testing. This latter testing will ensure that all of the processes where other University systems have an interface to Finance will work on an ‘end-to-end’ basis and process the necessary transactions correctly.

What are you most looking forward to in the new system?

I am looking forward to seeing the Business Process change and the efficiency which has been the driver for the programme come to fruition. I would urge colleagues to be patient in this regard as significant development of the systems and their capabilities will continue far into the future as the product develops, as well as the University’s use of it.