Student Rep Report: Introduction and Reflections (08.05.17)

My name is Ali Al-Osaimi – I am the Lifestyle Improvement Programme Manager working for Sandwell Public Health. I am the part-time student rep. As a senior Public Health Programme Manager, I have the responsibility for a portfolio of services which includes NHS Health Check programme, diabetes prevention programme, Healthy Sandwell Portal as well as Public Health Communication and Social Marketing functions. I have been working for Public Health for just over 17 years and have gained extensive experience in public Health commissioning, health promotion, health improvement and wider public health delivery.

Having already done a master with Birmingham University in the past (2008) in Health and Social Care partnerships, I felt the needed to build on my current experience in Public Health and undertake another master in more relevant to Public Health field.  When there was an opportunity to join a Public Health master programme with the same university I straightaway I applied and I was really pleased I was accepted.

I am currently in my 1st year of the course having enjoyed the modules I have completed so far and really looking forward to complete what is remaining of my course over the coming two years. Public Health masters at Birmingham University have really exceeded my expectations and I have enjoyed all aspects of the course. I have learnt so much from world class lecturers and excellent interaction with fantastic cohort of students – everyone is helpful and I feel I can ask questions and get excellent answers all the time.

The supportive services in terms of facilities, library and student support services are amazing and very informal and always willing to help. For someone like me who do this as part time alongside full time job and young family with all the demand on my time from family to friends it can be really challenging at times but with the level of support you get and excellent interaction with other students it much more easy and makes it all worthwhile.

Written by Ali Al-Osaimi, Part-time MPH Student Rep

Author: Claire

PhD Student, International Public Health

Share: