Jennifer Acheampong’s Journey from Ghana to Birmingham Business School

Jennifer Acheampong sits on a bench at the Edgbaston campus of the University of Birmingham

We sat down with Jennifer Acheampong, recipient of the 2023/2024 African MBA Scholarship to hear more about her personal story, her experience of applying for the scholarship, moving to Birmingham to study at the Business School and how she’s found her time at the school so far!

Can you share with us your personal journey, what shaped your passion for business and what led you to pursue an MBA at the University of Birmingham?

Before high school, I lived in Accra, Ghana, but during the summer holidays, I often visited my grandmother who lived in the Ashanti region of Ghana. She had opened a convenience store that catered to students and teachers in the local area, despite not having any prior business experience. Unfortunately, the shop eventually closed. Reflecting on this experience, I observed that my mother, like my grandmother, was risk-averse, while men around us seemed more inclined to take risks. This led me to question why women weren’t as involved in entrepreneurial ventures, despite having the talent and ability to be successful which could result in a positive impact on their families. This realisation ignited a passion within me to explore this disparity further and to actively support women in business.

Prior to coming to Birmingham, I was working as Compliance Manager at a Montessori School in Accra. I was working with lots of stakeholders but found that a lot of the role was becoming monotonous. I felt that there was something missing and that I needed something more. I really wanted to push myself to get better at problem solving within a business and the breadth of the MBA course at Birmingham Business School really struck me. The course has been fantastic so far and has really pushed me out of my comfort zone!

Could you elaborate on how the African MBA Scholarship has influenced your decision to pursue your MBA at Birmingham? How crucial is this scholarship in helping you achieve your academic and career aspirations?

The African MBA Scholarship played a pivotal role in shaping my decision to study my MBA at Birmingham and securing this scholarship was instrumental in granting me access to the program. The MBA not only exposes me to a diverse range of cultures and perspectives but also challenges me to rethink my approach to problem-solving, resilience and adaptability. Navigating academic assignments and deadlines has been a challenge but has been brilliant to develop my skills both inside and outside of the classroom! The connections and networks I have made through this scholarship will be invaluable in the business world.

Can you tell us more about what responsible business means to you and how you plan to integrate these principles into your future career?

To me, responsible business is ensuring we are always mindful of environmental sustainability, diversity, and respect for the communities and individuals involved. Back home, I have found that the focus often leans heavily towards profit-making without much consideration for broader social and environmental impacts. However, I believe that businesses can thrive while also prioritising responsible and ethical practices.

Fostering environmental sustainability and promoting gender equality are two areas I’m particularly passionate about. As one of the youngest individuals in management in my previous role, I always wanted to encourage more women to join leadership positions and help build their interest in such roles. This involves not only creating opportunities but also instilling a desire and understanding of why gender diversity is essential for business success.

I am driven to integrate these principles into my studies and my future career and will start by analysing the challenges women face in business in Ghana for my dissertation this summer, I am excited to reach out to more women to hear their experiences.

How have you found life in Birmingham since you have been here? Has anything surprised you about the city or the University?

It’s definitely colder! It is different for me as usually at this time of the year (March) it is around 33 degrees Celsius in Ghana! It’s been great to see more of the UK and I have travelled to both Manchester and London so far. Generally, nothing has surprised me yet as I researched Birmingham and the UK before getting here.

What would you say is the best part about the Birmingham Business School?

The best part is definitely the people and the culture of the school. We are all from different places, backgrounds, and cultures, and we are each bringing our unique perspectives and experiences to the table and problem solving together.

Are there any specific modules or lectures you have taken so far that have stood out for you so far? 

Having studied accounting both at high school and university, it’s always been important to me to be able to make sense of numbers, but more importantly, to dig deeper into the data to uncover the ‘why’ behind the figures. This analytical approach has been invaluable, especially in my recent accounting module which has been really insightful. Operations Management is another module that has stood out for me so far. It required extensive problem-solving skills, pushing me to think critically and analyse situations from various angles as well as being practical and challenging me to apply theory to real-world scenarios.

What would you say to other Students thinking of applying for the African MBA scholarship?

I think most importantly there should be a purpose for your application, aligning with your academic and career goals. My advice would be to plan early and thoroughly, ensuring you understand the requirements and deadlines. Make sure you do your research into the program and the institution, but most of all, I’d say go for it!

The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Birmingham.