The IMSR and Centre for Systems Modelling & Quantitative Biomedicine (SMQB) are excited to invite you to a free online event for World Diabetes Day 2020! We are extremely pleased to be hosting this event in partnership with Diabetes UK – a major funder for diabetes research and a crucial source of support for so many people living with diabetes.
IMSR & SMQB believe it is important to raise awareness of and open dialogue on diabetes and other health conditions through wider public engagement. We hope you will join us to learn more about this common, but serious, condition which likely affects at least one person in your life.
Target audience: The event and its content are primarily aimed at those with diabetes, their family and friends, as well as the wider general public.
For full details and to register: visit this Eventbrite page.
Taking part are the following researchers and special guests…
Professor David Hodson, Professor of Cellular Metabolism, Professorial Research Fellow and IMSR Lead for Global Engagement
SPEAKERS & PANELLISTS:
- Professor David Adams MD, FRCP, FMedSci, Pro-Vice-Chancellor and Head of College of Medical and Dental Sciences and Director of Birmingham Health Partners
- Professor Wiebke Arlt, William Withering Chair of Medicine and Director of the Institute of Metabolism and Systems Research
- Dr Elizabeth Robertson, Director of Research, Diabetes UK
- Mr John Bridges, Lived Experience Advocate
- Dr Gabriela Da Silva Xavier, Senior Lecturer in Cellular Metabolism, IMSR Lead for Equality, Diversity & Inclusion and IMSR Deputy Lead for Postgraduate Research
- Dr Jonathan Hazlehurst, Academic Clinical Lecturer
- Dr Patricia Thomas, MRC Skills Development Fellow
- Dr Alessandro Prete, Endocrinology and Diabetes Mellitus Specialist
- 11:00-11:05 Welcome from IMSR Dr Caroline Gillett, Community & Engagement Manager and Institute & College leads: Professor Wiebke Arlt, IMSR Director & Professor David Adams, Pro-Vice Chancellor MDS
- 11:05-11:15 Professor David Hodson – Introduction & Short Talk
- 11:15-11:20 Dr Gabriela Da Silva Xavier – Short Talk
- 11:20-11:25 Dr Jonathan Hazlehurst – Short Talk
- 11:25-11:30 Dr Elizabeth Robertson – How Diabetes UK supports research
- 11:30-11:35 Comfort Break ahead of the Q&A – grab a drink or nip to the loo
- 11:35-12:25 Panel Discussion and Q&A, chaired by Professor David Hodson
- 12:25- 12:30 Closing remarks