Events – presenting work / speaking engagements
- On Monday 6th March WMREDI hosted The 3rd Expert Roundtable on ‘Empowering Innovation through Public Procurement’. This event, co-organised with the University of Manchester and the Connected Places Catapult (CPC), launched the Innovation Procurement Empowerment Centre (IPEC), with speakers from the Cabinet Office, DSIT and Innovate UK.
- On 8th March Simon Collinson participated in a roundtable and launch of a new report on ‘The Role of Universities in driving Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) into UK R&D’. This was co-hosted by the Higher Education Policy Institute (HEPI), Midlands Innovation and the National Centre for Universities and Business.
- Anne Green and Abigail Taylor presented at a Youth Futures Foundation Learning & Research Connected Futures Event on ‘Local Funding Flows for Youth Employment and Skills’ in Manchester, 8 March 2023.
- Rebecca Riley took part in an event at Kings College London called, “What’s next for “levelling up”? on 9 March 2023.
- Anne Green presented on ‘Inclusive and Sustainable Growth in Cities’ and on ‘International learning from policy and practice’ at a collaborative workshop on
‘Building Inclusive and Sustainable Economies’ hosted by CURDS, Newcastle University, 9-10 March 2023.
- George Bramley presented at the EU sponsored event in Valladolid Spain on ‘Experiences and reflections from United Kingdom on developing workforce and innovation ecosystem for care in rural areas’ on 10th March. The presentation covered the work on rural workforce issues which feed into All Party Parliamentary Group on care in rural areas and work for the Marches LEP.
- Simon Collinson was a panellist alongside Birmingham City Council CEO, Deborah Cadman, at the Commonwealth Games Legacy event hosted at Marlborough House on 21st March. Other speakers included the Secretary General of the Commonwealth, Baroness Patricia Scotland KC, Minister of State for the Department for Business and Trade, Nigel Huddleston MP and Lord Karan Bilimoria.
- Matt Lyons was interviewed by CTV News Calgary about the economic impacts of the Commonwealth Games. Calgary and Edmonton, in Canada, are planning a possibly joint bid for the Commonwealth Games.
- Simon Collinson was quoted in the Financial Times in a piece about the budget “Jeremy Hunt scales back UK ‘investment zones’ plan”.
- City-REDI have won a number of literature review small projects with Department for Science, Innovation and Technology.
Reports / publications released
- Abigail Taylor has a new paper published – How can challenges if left behind places be addressed? Learning from Greater Lille, Nantes, the Ruhr Region, San Antonio and Estonia. Transactions of the Association of European Schools of Planning, 6(1), pp.55-70.