Funded by the Economic and Social Research Council, “The Economic Impacts of Brexit on the UK, its Regions, its Cities and its Sectors” project started in April 2017 and is part of a series of 25 projects funded by ESRC to support the initiative UK in a Changing Europe coordinated by Professor Anand Menon at King’s College London.
Over two weeks in May 2018 we visited 4 major UK cities to present research findings from the project. We brought political and business leaders together with academics and civil society organisations to discuss the likely impacts of Brexit and actions that needed to be taken.
Here are the videos from the workshops:
Devolved Administrations – 4th May 2018, Edinburgh
- Shane Murphy, Chief Economist, Northern Ireland Government
- Dr Andrew Moxey, Pareto Consulting
- Des McNulty, Policy Scotland, University of Glasgow
- David Heald, University of Glasgow
- Professor Duncan Maclennan – Edinburgh Brexit Workshop
West Midlands – 11th May 2018, Birmingham
- Professor Simon Collinson, Deputy Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Regional Economic Engagement, Director of the City-REDI
- Professor Philip McCann, University of Sheffield
- Professor Paul Forrest, Birmingham City University
- Professor David Bailey, Aston University
- Professor Nigel Driffield, University of Warwick
- Lloyd Broad, Birmingham City Council
- Professor Dan Wincott, Cardiff University and UK in a Changing Europe
Greater London – 18th May 2018
- Professor Tony Travers, Director, Institute of Public Affairs, LSE
- Professor Jonathan Portes, King’s College London
- Richard Chaplin, Chief Executive, Managing Partners’ Forum
- Andrew Carter, Chief Executive, Centre for Cities
- Dr Ingo Borchert, University of Sussex
North of England – 21st May 2018, Leeds
- Introduction 2
- Keynote speech from Steve Rotheram, Mayor of Liverpool City
- Session 1
- Session 2
- Session 3
- Professor Andy Pike, Newcastle University
- Alison McGovern, MP
- Richard Corbett, MEP
- Glenn McCauley, PA Consulting
- Steve Rotheram, Mayor of Liverpool City
- Dr Sarah Longlands, Director, IPPR North
- Katie Schmuecker, Head of Policy, Joseph Rowntree Foundation
- Professor Frank van Oort, Erasmus University Rotterdam
You can find more details about the project here.
This blog was written by Stuart Mitchell, Centre Manager, City-REDI.
The views expressed in this analysis post are those of the authors and not necessarily those of City-REDI or the University of Birmingham.
To sign up for our blog mailing list, please click here.