This month we are launching our new West Midlands Economic Monitor. It is full of information on upcoming developments in and around Birmingham, Coventry and the Black Country, interesting data, and expert analysis from our team of researchers. We will present some of the trends drawn from national and local data on a whole range of interesting topics all around economic development in the region:
- IDEAS, with key facts about innovative approaches, new concepts and businesses and cutting-edge technology in the West Midlands
- PEOPLE, with stats on the region’s labour market, skills, and population data
- INFRASTRUCTURE, considering how big new investments such as HS2 and the Midland Metro will change how people move into and around the region
- BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT, looking at investment into the region, changes to regulation that will particularly affect the area and how perceptions around the West Midlands affect its performance
- PLACES, considering not only the significant redevelopment and regeneration activities that are going on in the region but also how to make sure that this development is inclusive of the 2.8 million people living in the West Midlands County.
We will also be looking at particular regional strengths in sectors the West Midlands does well in – some of which may surprise you. Of course, it wouldn’t be a proper economic monitor without some consideration of the risks and threats that are on the horizon. We will also showcase some of the top research being conducted at City-REDI, from our modelling of the regional impact of Brexit, understanding of multidimensional poverty, research into the urban development of Birmingham and how this impacts on people who live and work here, and a whole host of other fascinating projects.
You can download the February edition here.
To get West Midlands Economic Monitor delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for our blog mailing list.