- On the 4th of February, Professor Anne Green gave a presentation on ‘Labour markets, labour policies and skills development’, at the OECD Spatial Productivity Lab & Productivity Insights Network meeting on ‘Spatial productivity in the post-COVID-19 world’.
- On the 10th of February, Dr Chloe Billing presented the findings from her West Midlands Space Cluster Project to the GBSLEP Modern Services Board.
- On the 11th February, Rebecca Riley was a speaker at a Centre for Cities event called “Devolution, Data & Levelling-Up”.
- On the 24th of February, City-REDI held the first City-REDI seminar of the year with Professor Simona Iammarino, from the LSE.
- On the 25th of February, Professor Simon Collinson represented the University of Birmingham at a meeting with the new Director-General of the CBI, Tony Danker, focused on recovery and growth post-covid. Professor Collinson presented the work of City-REDI in supporting the Mayor’s Covid-19 Economic Impact Group and the wider contributions to regional growth from the University.
- On the 26th of February, Ben Brittain was a speaker at an event at the University of Liverpool called – ‘Mental Health Policy in Higher Education’.
- On the 26th of February, Dr Chloe Billing hosted the 3rd West Midlands Space Leadership Group meeting.
Reports / publications released
- Dr Charlotte Hoole together with Professor Alasdair Rae wrote a showcase for the Atlas of the Human Planet 2020, published by the European Commission. Their contribution on ‘Analysing global megacities with GHSL data’ can be found here (pp. 69-70).
- Professor Anne Green is the author of a paper in the latest issue of Regional Studies along with Paul Sissons, Kevin Broughton and Amir Qamar on ‘Public policy for addressing the low-skills low-wage trap: insights from business case studies in the Birmingham city-region’.
- Professor Anne Green contributed to research for a report published by the Construction Industry Training Board in early February on Migration in the UK Construction and Built Environment Sector 2020 – Research Report 2020.
Local and Central Government
- George Bramley is now a member of the What Works Centre for Local Economic Growth Evaluation Advisory Panel.
- Professor John Goddard and Professor Raquel Ortega-Argiles will be leading a project for eUniwell looking at how university interface activities can enhance the impact of research on wellbeing.