- On the 23rd of September, Professor Raquel Ortega-Argiles took part in “Brexit and Manufacturing” session of the Centre for Brexit Studies Annual Meeting.
- On the 30th September, City-REDI / WM REDI and the Civic University Network held a webinar “Civic Universities and Inclusive Local Economic Recovery”. The event featured Lord Robert Kerslake, Lord David Willetts and Sarah Davidson, CEO – Carnegie UK Trust and had over 180 attendees.
In the Media
- The work of LIPSIT led by Professor Simon Collinson and Dr Charlotte Hoole together with the Universities of Surrey, Warwick, Cardiff and think tank Demos featured in the Birmingham Mail on the 30th September 2020.
Reports / publications released
- The State of the Region report was produced for the WMCA by WM REDI with support from The Black Country Consortium Economic Intelligence Unit, principle authors include Rebecca Riley, Professor Anne Green and Delma Dwight.
Local and Central Government
- On the 29th September, Professor Anne Green took part in the third oral evidence session of the House of Lords Economic Affairs Committee on the Employment and COVID-19 inquiry. The Committee heard evidence on past and present state interventions in the UK economy and the UK’s skills and training system.
- WM-REDI have been approached to develop economic cases for public sector bodies for both investment in infrastructure and public services to take place in October. This month we have been working with SQW to develop the economic case to support a bid into Strength in Places Fund for an industry-led collaboration to support the development of advance ceramics sector in the region. In addition, work is continuing of developing a common methodology and approach for economic evaluation and appraisal with WMCA and its partners.
Awards / Funding
- Anne Green and George Bramley with colleagues at the University of Warwick have undertaken a Literature review on employer decision-making about how to fill skill shortages for the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC).
Look ahead to the coming months…
- On the 20th October, City-REDI / WM REDI in partnership with the Greater Birmingham Chambers of Commerce will be hosting a webinar to launch the Birmingham Economic Review 2020.
- On the 17th November, Professor Raquel Ortega-Argiles will participate in the “Local Industrial Strategies” session of the Festival of Economics (Bristol Festival of Ideas).
To sign up for our blog mailing list, please click here.