- 4th November 2021, WMREDI held a Board Meeting and a number of the Board Members joined us for the Civic University Agreement signing event.
- 8th November 2021 – Professor Simon Collinson chaired an event at the Chartered Association of Business Schools Annual Conference 2021 called ‘Boosting innovation and productivity across the UK’.
- 15th November 2021 – Professor Raquel Ortega-Argiles hosted a round table of the CRISPP “The Consortium for Research in Innovative and Strategic Public Procurement (CRISPP)“. This initiative has been jointly organised with Connected Places Catapult and Manchester Alliance Business School.
- 17th November 2021 – Hannes Read hosted an event called “The Future Business District in a Changing City Centre”.
- 18th November 2021 – Rebecca Riley took part in an event called “Cities still matter: the role of urban centres in tackling regional inequality” at the CAGE Research Centre at Warwick University.
- 22nd November 2021- Professor Raquel Ortega-Argiles presented at the MIOIR (Manchester Institute of Innovation Research) the paper “Does UK research collaboration in R&I promote levelling-up? An analysis of UKRI funding between 2014-2021” (joint work with Dr Pei-Yu Yuan).
- 23rd November 2021 – Professor Simon Collinson presented to the ‘UK-China Seminar on Promoting Balanced Regional Development’ co-hosted by the International Department of HM Treasury and China’s Development Research Centre. Showcasing the regional contribution of the University and the impact evaluation approaches used by City-REDI to support policy interventions for balanced growth.
- 24th November 2021 – Professor Simon Collinson presented as part of a plenary panel at the Midlands Engine Life Sciences Symposium at the National Conference Centre. Sir John Peace opened the conference which focused on the potential for the Midlands to become a leader in the development and application of life sciences innovation.
- Ben Brittain was recently published in CapX. The article was called “Rishi’s war chest? The economic data that could give Sunak room for tax cuts”.
Reports / publications released
- Juliane Schwarz, Alice Pugh, Henriette Breukelaar, Anne Green and George Bramley produced a new policy briefing for WMREDI called “Labour Market Disconnect: High Level of Unemployment in the Region and a Record Number of Vacancies for Jobs and Apprenticeships”.
- Dr Maryna Ramcharan produced a new report for WMREDI called “Income Inequality, Policies and Inclusive Growth”.
Local and Central Government
- 25th November 2021 – Professor Simon Collinson took part in a House of Commons Select Committee on Science and Technology evidence session. The Committee also featured the West Midlands Mayor, Andy Street and Clive Hickman of the Manufacturing Technology Centre.
Look ahead to the coming months…
- 2nd December 2021 – Professor Raquel Ortega-Argiles will be presenting at the final event of the RESOE project “Preparing regions for demographic change” organised by the OECD-European Commission.