Meet Annum Rafique- City-REDI / WMREDI’S New Research Fellow

My name is Annum Rafique, and I joined City-REDI in March 2022 as a Research Fellow. I have a PhD in economics from Cardiff University, which Sêr Cymru National Research Network for Low Carbon, Energy and Environment (NRN-LCEE) funded. My doctoral work focused on the sustainable intensification of dairy farms in Wales and England.

I used economic modelling to analyse the environmental, technical, and cost-efficiency of dairy farms to provide a framework that would reduce the environmental impact of dairy farming while not impacting the quality and quantity of the farm’s outputs. I also used benchmarking techniques to identify best practices to improve the farm’s productivity.

After my PhD, I worked as a Research Fellow at Bangor University, Wales, on an ERDF funded project which focused on the water-energy nexus. I conducted a study in the county of Gwynedd (Wales), where I estimated the water-related energy consumption in households to introduce low-carbon technology to reduce households’ energy demand and costs and environmental emissions related to energy use.

My recent work at City-REDI focuses on energy efficiency in residential households. I am working towards introducing different measures (technological and behavioural) for reducing the environmental impact due to energy consumption in residential households. I am working towards assessing energy demand and introducing various policy scenarios to increase the uptake of low-carbon technologies to reduce household energy emissions, consumption, and costs.

I am an avid fantasy genre fan and prefer to read fiction in my free time. During the COVID-19 outbreak, I found a new hobby in gardening.

This blog was written by Annum Rafique, Research Fellow City-REDI / WMREDI, University of Birmingham. 

Disclaimer: 
The views expressed in this analysis post are those of the authors and not necessarily those of City-REDI / WMREDI or the University of Birmingham.

Sign up for our mailing list